Caught on Camera: The Top 10 Hole in One Shots
A hole in one. It’s a beautiful thing. Playing that perfect tee shot, watching it get closer and feeling the thrill of high-fiving everyone within a three-hundred yard vicinity is a feeling not every golfer gets to celebrate.
According to statistics, the odds of hitting an ace for amateur golfers is a just 12,500 to 1, a figure that drops to 5,000 to 1 for low handicappers. A professional golfer has odds of around 2,500 to 1 to hit an ace which, whilst a lot lower than the others, is still a tough feat to pull off.
You don’t even need to check on Paddy Power golf bets to see they’re fairly long odds!
But if you did fancy a punt on a hole in one at The Players recently, you could’ve bagged general odds of about 7/2 of a hole out at the island 17th – which Sergio Garca promptly did!
Mancil Davis, was known as the “King of Aces” and had a fairly unbelievable record for holing out from distance. His hole in one stats are mind-blowing:
- 51 career aces
- 10 double-eagles (see Albatross)
- 8 aces in a single year
- First hole in one at 11 years of age
- Longest hole in one was at 379 yards!
The guy was an absolute ace machine!
With all of this in mind we have decided to compile what we believe to be the top 10 holes in one ever caught on film:
10. Leif Olson, 2009 RBC Canadian Open – 15th hole, 132 yards
Ever played snooker? Well this guy knows his angles:
9. Rich Beem, 2007 Nissan Open – 17th hole, 177 yards
The resident SkySports analyst has beem there and done it. But does he still drive a Nissan?
8. Justin Thomas, 2017 WGC Mexico Championships – 13th hole, 225 yards
I know some course architects bury dead elephants in their greens, but never seen a trampoline:
7. Gregory Bourdy, 2017 Shenzen International – 2nd hole, 185 yards
Perfect club, perfect line, perfect read:
6. Matt Kuchar, 2017 Augusta Masters – 16th hole, 179 yards
Another 7 iron, will it reach, will it, will it? Kooooooooch!
5. Rory McIlroy, 2015 Abu Dhabi HSBC Golf Championship – 15th hole, 177 yards
Rory’s first tournament hole in one:
4. Joe Sakic, American Century Celebrity Golf Championship 2011
I just hope his charity has a plaque somewhere commemorating this – they just got $500,000 richer:
3. James Morrison, 2016 BMW PGA Championship – 14th hole, 170 yards
James Morrison’s ace involved some Top Gear action, an Andy Sullivan steeplechase, oh and a fabulous 5 iron!
2. Fred Couples, 1999 The PLAYERS Championship, 17th hole, 137 yards
Fred Couples is unfortunate not to be top of our list, it’s only for the fact that he technically did this hole in three that he isn’t. The 17th hole at Sawgrass with its island green is as famous as it is difficult but in Fred’s case, he makes it look ridiculously easy. The first attempt lands in the water but once he lines up for his second attempt you could just tell something special was about to happen. Add in to the mix the way he nonchalantly drops his shoulder and strolls away after he realises, too cool for school, Fred.
1. Tiger Woods, 1997 Phoenix Open – 16th hole, 152 yards
He just kind of makes his own legend doesn’t he?
It’s not much of a surprise that this effort is in our #1 spot. Wood’s amazing hole in one on the 16th at TPC Scottsdale is one of the most iconic shots in the history of golf. It’s not just for the amazing skill shown in acing the hole, but his own celebrations and the jubilant scenes from the crowd that top this amazing shot off.
Is your favourite here, add your selection in the comments below.